Mum’s heartbreak as 10-day-old son dies while she gives him his first ever cuddle

Sarah-Lou Gee held her newborn baby for the first time, whilst the sounds of his life support machine gradually came to a halt.

It was the first time she had held him – but this meeting was also their final goodbye.

When Dainton-Lee was born on August 22, 2013, he weighed a mere three pounds and eleven ounces, and was seven weeks premature.

He was taken to the neonatal unit in Wigan, and placed on a machine to help his breathing, reports Manchester Evening News.

Yet just one day later, Dainton-Lee was taken to an intense neonatal unit by ambulance and carried on fighting for his life.

Sarah said: “When I saw him a few hours later in his incubator looking so fragile with wires and tubes everywhere, my heart shattered.

“As the days passed, Dainton-Lee was slowly deteriorating, which was absolutely heartbreaking to see.”

After 10 heart-wrenching days, there was nothing more doctors could do.

Sarah was forced to make the horrendous decision to turn off his life support machine.

She added: “As the nurses and doctors started taking his tubes out and decreasing his medication, I was finally allowed to give my son his first cuddle.

“But at the same time, I was saying goodbye. By this point I fell to pieces.

“Within five minutes, Dainton-Lee gained his angel wings and I felt like my heart had been ripped out.”

For the next few hours, Sarah held and talked to Dainton-Lee, and told him all the things they had planned to do together.

She also got him dressed for the first time.

Feeling totally numb, she placed the newborn down in his cold cot before returning to her room and cried like she had never cried before.

“The following morning, after no sleep and everything feeling so surreal, I went back to see my baby to say my final goodbyes,” she continued.

“I sat there for hours and hours just cuddling my boy before giving him a final kiss goodbye. I tucked him back in his cold cot with his teddy and blanket. As I left the room, I fell to my knees crying my eyes out.”

A post-mortem discovered Dainton-Lee died from rare heart condition TAPVD (total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage), severe pulmonary high pertension, severe lung disease, surfactant deficiency and sepsis, which had infected every part of his body.

She said: “As any parent would feel, I was left mortified and completely heartbroken. It was the most traumatic event of my life.”

Sarah, from Wigan, went on to have three sons with her partner Darren – Noah, eight, Dominic, seven, and two-year-old Damon.

She now dedicates much of her time encouraging other mums to talk about baby and pregnancy loss.

She also regularly raises money for Sands, a stillbirth and neonatal death charity in the UK.